IHC is the largest and most prominent non-public educational alternative in the Greater Watertown, NY area. We are proud to be different. We provide a college-preparatory, Gospel-based education based on faith, challenge, opportunity, a culture of achievement, personal responsibility, and service. Our students develop spiritually, morally and ethically as well as intellectually. We are proud of who we are, what we do, and why we do it!
Of course, our schools are unique because they are Catholic, offering an education animated by history’s greatest teacher, Jesus. Our mission is fundamentally about inviting young people to build or deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ, and help them understand the role of faith in their daily lives and the world. We pray daily. We celebrate the liturgy. Our religious retreats are powerful and transformative for students. We believe in the portion of our mission statement that calls on us to “cultivate holiness based on the love and imitation of Christ.
A Gift that Lasts a Lifetime
We like to say IHC offers students a “Foundation for Life.” It’s true. What we teach provides students a foundation, grounded in Christian virtues, that only grows stronger over time. In the words of one alumnus, “the moral and ethical foundations that IHC emphasized made it easier for me to meet the strict honor code requirements of the Air Force Academy.”
- Accredited by the prestigious Commission on Secondary Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Highest average passing and mastery scores on the New York State Regent’s Exams among the 15 school districts in our area.
- Highest average “proficiency” and “exceeds proficiency” scores on New York State’s standardized Math and English Language Arts tests for grades 3 to 8, among the 15 local school districts. At every grade level, our ELA tests are 15 to 25% higher than local districts
- Catholic Schools Tuition Comparison: Near 100% graduation rate, and nearly every IHC graduate goes on to post-secondary education. They arrive at college with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, time-management habits, and Christian virtues. When it comes time to say goodbye, you can have faith that your children will make the right choices.
- SAT scores exceed New York and national averages by nearly 70 points, and the top 30 percent of our graduating classes exceed the averages by over 300 points.
- Sixty-four percent of last year’s graduating class earned a Regents diploma with Advance Designation or Advanced Designation with Honors.
Affordable and Accessible
- IHC’s tuition rates are among the lowest of any Catholic school system in the Northeast, well below the national average.
- Financial aid and scholarships are readily available for families of all financial means. IHC offers two full-tuition scholarships: the “100 Stars” scholarship for students of any grade (K-12) with scholastic potential and demonstrated financial need, and a scholarship for new 7th graders who have never attended Catholic education but would like to give it a try.
- Our tuition rates are well below the cost we spend to educate each student.
- Graduation Rates: IHC graduates are extremely successful winning college scholarships upon graduation.
- Free busing is provided within the local area
- and Fort Drum, and all of our schools (Primary, Intermediate, and Junior/Senior High) are on the same schedule, simplifying family logistics.
- IHC is known for the competitiveness of our sports teams. Our success is not rooted in recruiting or size, but in exceptional student-athletes with strong character, a work ethic forged in the classroom, a sense of mutual responsibility to their teammates, and committed coaching by volunteer parents and alumni who care deeply about the students, the school, and sportsmanship.
- Our small school has garnered State, Sectional, and Frontier League titles, won numerous sportsmanship awards, and routinely competes successfully against much larger schools.
Safe, Welcoming, Small-School Environment
- We welcome students of all faiths and backgrounds. Our students, who include about 100 students of faiths other than Catholic, participate in a wide range of activities. Parents, grandparents, alumni, and other volunteers play a critical role in all of aspects of IHC life. IHC is truly a faith community.
- Our schools are safe, largely free of the safety and discipline distractions that many schools contend with.
- IHC students love their school. We recently surveyed our seventh-graders, and while, yes 26% would like us to loosen up on the dress code (we’ll take it under advisement!), 95% said they would recommend IHC to a friend. When asked what has been their favorite experience at IHC, the number one answer was “how supportive the teachers have been.”
IHC Students Learn the Value of Service and Giving
- IHC students become responsible citizens. From elementary school to graduation, IHC students perform community service in a wide variety of ways – visiting seniors, raising money to fight malaria in Africa, volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. IHC students learn from doing, and that they are expected to be active in their communities throughout their lives, serving the greater good, and helping those in need.